This article really got my attention!! The deputy minister of Kenya has been order to be arrested for inciting racial violence towards the Maasai ethnic group. This call came following a speech DM Ferdinand Waititu gave that was posted on youtube. The reason for inciting violence was because a Maasai guard killed a child for stealing a chicken. Keriako Tobiko, director of public prosecutions in Kenya said that Mr. Waititu had incited violence and "feelings of hatred and hostility against the Maasai community," according to the paper. Now many of the country's Maasai leaders want him prosecuted.
I find it horrific that in this country a person can be killed for taking a chicken. With articles like this one, I'm understanding more some of the conflicts created in Africa by people with different ethnicities. I'm sure situations like this happen in other places in the world as well.
I'm not sure that he was inciting violence because a young chicken thief was killed. It seems to me that there's a political motivation here.
ReplyDeleteIt seems horrible that this would even happen because of a chicken. But I feel that the deputy minister has much more rooted disputes with the Massai and took this opportunity to possibly expose them. He does not seem to have much support in this instance. Very unfortunate
ReplyDelete