In a Muslim country that based on its history could have supported the teachers actions after cutting the students' hair, the incident has not turned into a scandal or riot in support of the educator. Instead the courts are on the victims' side suspending and fining the teacher for her actions. This is a good sign that Egypt's religious ethics are progressing to a more liberal state, especially in religion such a delicate topic.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteAfter reading the article, I am not sure how to feel. I sympathize with the girls for the fact that the teacher had no right to take it to such lengths as to cut their hair. At the same time I understand that in the Muslim-forward country it could be considered disrespectful not to wear the headscarf. I believe that in the situation, the teacher was too rash and could have considered an alternate disciplinary action.
ReplyDeleteI think that its a little harsh to go and cut the two girls hair off. Its a bit extreme. But at the same time, it sounds like something the teacher was pressured into by her students. I understand that wearing the headscarf is a sign of respect, but was it really necessary to cut off their hair? She could have easily gone to the head master of the school and asked the master to enforce the dresscode upon these girls. I only wish women had more rights in Muslim countries.
ReplyDeletei totally agree and think that the more understanding these strict, religion-based countries become, the better off its population will be. however, I do see the importance of following the guidelines of a faith that is deeply rooted in a country.
ReplyDeleteI understand that it is a sign of disrespect for the young girls to not wear the headscarf, but I think that cutting of the girls hair without their or their parents permission is harsh and extreme. There were many other options the teacher could have taken like informing the principal. The idea that the students pressured her is in my mind not valid because she is in a school environment the boss and the oldest one in the room.
ReplyDelete